Burnout is: a state of severe emotional, physical, and mental exhaustion caused by long-term unmanaged stress.
I think we can all say we've experienced times where we are extremely exhausted. I myself have a habit of ignoring it and keeping it pushing, knowing good and well I need to take a break. I am a perfectionist which is my best and worst quality. It wasn't until recently that I thought being burned out was a weakness until it caused me to make bad judgement and I made a mistake that I couldn't take back. I had a Rory Gilmore meets bald Britney Spears moment if you will.
The most important thing I took from that experience is that had I been kinder to myself and honest with the way I was feeling, things may have turned out differently. Being exhausted from working hard isn't a weakness, it is human nature, and it's important you treat yourself as such. I thought if I could push through the exhaustion that meant I was strong, and smart but in reality that kind of thinking was immature. Once it was all over none of my effort was worth it. I had so much regret about not paying attention to what I already knew. I thought I was giving giving Elle Woods whole time I was walking around looking like a homeless person. I was very delusional at that time.
I think this can be applied to a lot of points in life. Do not push yourself too hard because it will not do you any good. Burnout is a warning and you can't get anything done if you do not take the time to rest and try to find ways to take care of yourself. That can be hard to do, especially in an academic setting with deadlines and exams to study for, but you owe it to yourself to at least try.
I hope someone can taking something from this. Thank you for reading! 🌸

No comments:
Post a Comment